BE YOUR OWN CHAMPION
By Team iForce Nutrition
Sometimes, we don’t realize that the only thing holding us back from achieving our goals is ourselves. Without the motivation to succeed, you cannot surpass your previous limits whether it be in the gym or on the field. There are two distinct types of motivation that are paramount to your success; intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation. Learn how to use them to increase your gains!
Too often we get caught up in the day-to-day and lose sight of our long term physique goals. Without keeping these goals in mind, you will find yourself having the days and weeks go by without any progress being made! We aren’t getting any younger, so you must realize that everyday is either a step forward or a step backward in reaching your aspirations. That being said, what kinds of motivation can I apply to make the most of myself?
Intrinsic Motivation is motivation that is sparked internally, the feeling of accomplishment, of self-worth, of discipline and victory. Think of the last time you finally blasted through a plateau, what really got you excited after you achieved this goal? Was it really that extra rep? That extra 5 pounds? Or was it the fact that you stuck to your beliefs, trained your heart out and finally persevered and did something you have never done before?
Self motivation is the most valuable asset that you can have. The reason being there is no one else who can provide it to you, and it can’t be bought. You must have the drive, the desire and the heart all on your own. It is a powerful tool that is often overlooked when we have so many other obligations and factors that play into our success in the gym.
Extrinsic Motivation is the motivation brought on by external forces. These influences are another great inspiration because we as humans love recognition and rewards. Some examples of this are attraction by the opposite sex, or perhaps an incentive such as, “if I achieve this goal, I will be rewarded with X.” Extrinsic motivation is a great tool to use during competition preparation and before attempting new personal records. The visualization of receiving your placing or pounding out that extra rep is very powerful. Imagine the praise, the pride, the glory of your success, and use it to fuel your efforts.
How can I use motivation to progress?
To outline a plan for success, follow these steps:
1) Be realistic in your expectations
2) Determine your long term goal. What is it that you are trying to achieve in the next 6 months or a year or maybe 2 years? Where would you like to see yourself in the next 6-24 months? Put it down on paper and leave it where you can see it.
3) Understand your intrinsic motivations for pursuing this goal.
4) Identify the extrinsic motivational factors in your success.
5) Formulate a battle-plan that will allow you to achieve these goals. Make it open enough to make adjustments, but detailed enough so that you can tailor your meal plans, workout routines, and supplements to achieve this goal.
6) STAY POSITIVE! This is the most important step. By staying positive and believing in yourself you will always progress forward.
Understanding motivation and following these steps is a surefire way to spark a new life in your workout routine, and keep your diet on track. Do not get caught in the day to day and end up wasting your time in the gym. In order to reach success, you must dedicate yourself. It won’t come free and it won’t come easy. However; being true to yourself and always progressing means that one day you will be a champion.